Wednesday 28 February 2007

CNY in Ipoh

Ok, February is not a good month for me to blog as I have just been too busy to sit down and blog. And when I do have that time, I don't even want to look at a computer screen... nuff of my ranting, but thank you all for constantly checking back to see if there are new posts.

Aight, so CNY came and went (technically not yet as it is 15 days). As I said previously, I went back to Ipoh to visit family and friends. I must admit, I felt most excited when going back to Ipoh this time as I have a hit song 'bout my hometown. I went back on the 1st day thinking I could avoid the ridiculous jam which I will encounter if I went back the day before (CNY eve equals crazy jams at the highways).

Boy, I was wrong. See, the normal time from KL to Ipoh via highway is about 2 hours if you drive the regulated 110 km per hour. It took me 4 hours and there was also a bumper to bumper jam halfway. Crazy.

We (my boo and parents) reached eventually in mid afternoon, and seeing my old hood Ipoh Garden East after rapping about it seems kinda different. Maybe I was just believing' my own hype but it felt good. We stayed at my grandma's crib and had to bunk in the hall for 3 nights but it felt good being close around family.

The usual CNY family dinners ensued and the predictable visiting and ang pow collecting rituals commenced. I was freakin' out watching myself eat all the great food cos' I can’t be fat as the music video shoot for Ipohmali is coming soon.

Speaking about the video, I was also back to scout and rec locations for the video. That lead me to even going back to my old crib to ask the current landlord permission to shoot some scenes there.

All in all, going back to my hometown and spending Chinese New Year with family was great. Plus I had some time to kick back at last and ate my favourite Ipoh chee cheong fun too:) Now let’s see them pics. Holla!


The jam on the way home


The view of my hood when coming home from the highway. Ipoh Garden Eastside peeps will recognize the hills:)


Some pics in my grandma's crib.The b&w pics are my late great grandparents and the colour one is my late grandfather. May they rest in peace.


The infamous "Eng Hua Min Sin". This is the traditional dish the Ong clan eats every 1st day of Chinese New Year. We have been doing it for generations.


Old heritage buildings still found in Ipoh...old skool!


Year of the Pig cookies! Had to take this pic as this was different from your usual kuih kapit, jam tarts..etc, tasted good too.


First Yee Sang for '07!


Second Yee Sang for '07! Thats mah' grandma in the background. The most generous and caring woman I know:)


I know this may look gross, but it is actually the very good Ipoh chee cheong fun all mixed up! I love this! More thim cheong and lat chew!



Cruisin' down the hood with my fitted on the dashboard. No, this ain't LA, this is Ipoh Garden Eastsyde babyyyy!


Going home:) "Don't get me wrong yo, I'm KL lite now its just that my roots stay strong"-Ipohmali

3 comments:

astrosurge said...

Good post Point! gong xi gong xi 2u2. Ipoh rulez..really missed those old town chicken ryce & ipoh white coffee!

MiCh3Lle said...

hey uncle nic... mom said u dropped by! thanks for the cd =)
love the song and that thing ur parents did... LoL!

KeV said...

yo man...i'm an ipoh guy myself..
cool music man...makes me proud to be livin in ipoh...

by the way, i was browsing through yo blog..came across one of your pics in the the 'CNY in ipoh' post...isnt one of them with d LA cap on the car dashboard...isnt tat in ipoh garden east?
u live somewhere there?

how do i know?
coz i live ther too..

great music man...keep it up..waitin to hear more!